Menu Open menu
Find a branchFind a branch
Please enter your postcode using only letters and numbers. Please enter a postcode.

Call us0800 121 8899

Call us

Free call from mobiles & landlines

Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm
Saturday 9am - 5pm
Sunday 10am - 4pm
Bank Holiday - closed 

All enquiries 0800 121 8899

Call costs explained


Already a member and use Online Services?

Login and apply. We already have your details so we can usually open your new account straight away.


Next to many of our accounts listed online, there’s a link that says ‘Apply now’. When you’ve chosen the account you’d like to open, click the link and you’ll be guided through the steps.

You’ll need:

  • Your National Insurance number
    You can find this on a payslip or pension statement.
  • Details of an account you’ll use as your ‘nominated account(the specific terms of your account may require you to set up a nominated bank account) 
    If you want to set up a nominated account for withdrawals and interest payments, we’ll need the account number and sort code of an existing bank or building society account.

By post

You can send your completed application to us by post.


You don’t need a stamp. Please write the address exactly like this – in capital letters and all on one line. Please note, the Royal Mail delivers Freepost as Second Class mail. 

At a branch 

If you'd prefer to speak to one of our specialists, please visit any branch.  It’s best to call us beforehand to set up an appointment and make sure you come prepared with your identification documents (see below).

Branch finder

We don’t offer current accounts

But if you need an account with a cash card, ask at any branch or call us on 0800 121 8899 .

Identification documents we need to see

We carry out an electronic identity check first and we may also need to see proof of your name and address to confirm who you are. This is so that we can protect against identity fraud and comply with anti-money laundering regulations.

Here’s a full list of the ID we accept:
Identification documents

There might be a delay in opening your account 

If we can identify you electronically, we may be able to open your account straight away. If we can't, there’s a short delay while we check everything out and set up your account. You may need to post us your application form and relevant identification.

If you apply online, we’ll email you to confirm when your account is open. We’ll write to you to let you know your account number and sort code - or you can log in to Online Services.

If you’re concerned because you’ve not heard from us, call us on 0800 121 8899.

Paying into your account 

To pay in, you’ll need your sort code and the last eight digits of your account number.

When your new account is open, we’ll let you know these details.

How you pay in depends on the Specific Terms of the account.

How to pay in

Opening an account under a Power of Attorney 

You’ll need to provide identification for all attorneys named on the savings account, as well as for you, the ‘donor’.

Read more about power of attorney and savings with us

To find out more about applying for power of attorney, go to

If you change your mind 

With many of our accounts, you can close them at any time.

If your account has restrictions - for example, a notice period or a charge if you close it early - you may close it within 14 days of us opening it without notice or charge. If you've opened an ISA, you have 14 days after you've made your first deposit.

To let us know that you want to close your account:

Online -
if you’re registered for Online Services, you may be able to close the account yourself online. If your account allows this, go to Online Services and you’ll see the option to ‘Close account’.

Call us on 0800 121 8899

Write to us

You don’t need a stamp. Please write the address exactly like this – in capital letters and all on one line. Note: Royal Mail deliver Freepost as Second Class.

Ask us at any branch
- come into a branch with your account details. 

Managing your account online 

If you applied for your account online, we'll send you everything you need to log in and manage your account using Online Services. Or you can call us on 0800 121 8899 and we'll set up access for you.

Managing your account

If you move abroad 

If you hold accounts with us and then later move overseas, that’s fine - you won't have to close your accounts. If you have an ISA and then move abroad, there might be restrictions on what you can pay in. Contact us, or check with HMRC if you're not sure.  

You need to tell us you’re moving or have moved abroad - call us on 0800 121 8899 (from abroad: +44 24 7655 5255) or write to us at:

Coventry Building Society
Economic House, High Street
Coventry, CV1 5QN

We’ll ask you to tell us your Tax Identification Number (TIN) for any countries where you’re tax resident, or if you’re a US citizen. This is an important part of the information we need to give HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) in line with international tax law.

Read more about information we share with HMRC »