To help us continually improve our website, we collect non-personal data with cookies. Cookies tell us how you have navigated to and around our website. To find out more or if you wish to opt-out please view our Cookies policy.
This section's navigation
Your money is protected by the FSCS - find out more here
Page content

Get in touch

We're here to help you through this process. If you'd like to talk to us, call our specialist team on 0800 587 4525
Visit any of our branches if you'd prefer to talk to a member of staff face-to-face.

Power of attorney

A power of attorney is the authority that allows you to appoint someone you trust (the attorney) to make decisions on your behalf. You can choose one or more people to act as attorney on your behalf, but it's important to be confident you've chosen the right person or people to carry out the tasks involved in looking after your affairs.

Power of attorney can only be granted when you still have the mental capacity to appoint the person or people you wish to act on your behalf. You can continue to carry on managing your finances while you're still able.

Power of attorney FAQs

You can find more information below.

Why should I set up a power of attorney?

Setting up power of attorney can enable someone to make decisions on your behalf if you're not able to do so. This means whatever happens in the future, you'll be looked after in the way you want by those you trust.

If no power of attorney is set up and you become mentally incapacitated, your family or friends would need to apply to the Court of Protection (COP) before they can help with financial affairs. The COP will then supervise the management of your affairs to ensure you're protected. Having a power of attorney set up can save this lengthy and expensive process with the COP.

What are the different types of power of attorney?

Lasting power of attorney (LPA) - the appointed person can manage your finances for you in the future if you reach a point where you require support in making decisions, or are unable to make decisions yourself. A lasting power of attorney can be used as soon as it has been registered with the Office of Public Guardian (OPG), unless otherwise specified. The Coventry will only need to see the 'Property & Affairs' document, we don't need the 'Health & Welfare' document.

Enduring power of attorney - if you have an unregistered enduring power of attorney (these were replaced by lasting power of attorneys in 2007), it can still be used. Your attorney will need to register it with the Court of Protection if they believe you are, or are becoming mentally incapable.

There are other types of powers of attorney. Please contact our specialist team to discuss this further.

How do I apply for a power of attorney?

To apply for lasting power of attorney (LPA) you will need an LPA form. You can download this from Opens new website in another window

An LPA is only effective when it's been registered with the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG). You can register at Opens new website in another window or a solicitor can do this on your behalf, for a fee. You'll need to give notice to everyone named as your attorney. The OPG will notify you if an application is made by an attorney.

How do I register a power of attorney with Coventry Building Society?

In order for us to register the power of attorney, we'll need to see:
  • the power of attorney document, original or certified copy. You can certify it if you still have mental capacity, if not, a solicitor should do this, and
  • a completed attorney supplementary form. We'll need to see ID for any attorney who isn't an existing customer with the Coventry.

If a new account needs setting up for you, you'll need to complete an application form as well as providing us with the power of attorney document, and we'll need to see ID. Contact our specialist team on 0800 587 4525 to discuss this further.

How can an attorney operate the account?

Online - the attorney may be able to operate your account through our Online Services. If this is the case, they'll receive security details in their own name so that they can use Online Services in the same way you can.

If the attorney is already registered for our Online Services they won't need additional security information, instead your accounts will appear on their 'My Accounts' page.

In branch - transactions can be carried out in branch in the usual way. Depending on the type of account you have with us, the attorney will have the option to transact in a variety of ways according to the account terms and conditions.

Over the phone - transactions by post can be carried out in the usual way. We'll check the attorney's signature that we hold on our records in order to validate any transactions.

Can the attorney have a cash card?

Yes. Providing there are no restrictions within the power of attorney document, the attorney can have a cash card or Visa debit card, if the account type allows.

When might a power of attorney cease?

  • when you decide to revoke it before you lose capacity
  • when an attorney (or you) becomes bankrupt
  • when an attorney loses mental capacity
  • when a marriage or civil partnership between you and the attorney is dissolved
  • when an attorney decides to disclaim their powers
  • when the Court Of Protection (COP) makes an order revoking a power of attorney.

What happens if an attorney passes away?

If an attorney passes away on a 'jointly or severally' power of attorney or they are the sole attorney, they will be removed from the account and a new attorney can be appointed. If the document is 'jointly/severally' the remaining attorney may continue to act. If an attorney passes away or is no longer able to act on a 'jointly' power of attorney you should refer to the Office of the Public Guardian for guidance.

Will both the attorney and the donor receive correspondence from the Coventry?

We'll only send out one set of correspondence, in your name, but you have the choice on the attorney supplementary formOpens new website in another window to let us know if you' rather everything was sent to you or the attorney.

Useful contacts

Office of the Public Guardian - 0300 456 0300 Opens new website in another window

Age UK - 0800 169 6565 new website in another window. The Age UK website has very detailed guidance and advice for those who are not sure about what is their next step.

Court of Protection - 0300 456 4600 new website in another window

You can find out further information in our Power of attorney leaflet (PDF 834KB)Opens in another window.

Coventry Building Society is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (firm reference number 150892 Opens new website in another window). This site is intended for UK residents only. Coventry Building Society. Registered Office: Economic House, PO Box 9, High Street, Coventry CV1 5QN.

Our Customer Service Centre is open Monday to Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 9am-5pm, Sunday 10am-4pm.

Calls to 0800 numbers are free when made from the UK. You may be charged for calls to all other numbers, please contact your service provider for further details. We may monitor, record, store and use telephone calls to help improve our service and as a record of our conversation.